st: SSC Archive help files now available in HTML

From   Marcello Pagano <>
Subject   st: SSC Archive help files now available in HTML
Date   Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:48:34 -0400

For Ben:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ben Jann <>
Date: Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM
Subject: RE: SSC Archive help files now available in HTML
To: statalist <>

I sent this before, but it seems it did not get through:

It is possible to translate the hyperrefs using the undocumented -log
webhtml- command and doing some post-processing. Here's a (simplified)
copy of the code I use to translate the helpfiles for the -estout-
website, e.g.

capt prog drop myfilefilter
prog myfilefilter
 syntax anything [ , * ]
 tempfile tmp
 qui filefilter `anything' `"`tmp'"', `options'
 qui copy `"`tmp'"' `anything', replace

log webhtml esttab.hlp hlp_esttab.html, ll(79) replace yebf
foreach cmd in estout esttab eststo estadd estpost {
 myfilefilter hlp_esttab.html, replace from("/help.cgi?`cmd'")
myfilefilter hlp_esttab.html, replace from("/help.cgi?")

The link produced by -log webhtml- is hardcoded to be "/help.cgi?.."
and I use filefilter to translate this to either a relative path to
one of the -estout- help files or to "";.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Newson, Roger B