RE: st: Re: RE: Re: Fill in panel observations

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Re: RE: Re: Fill in panel observations
Date   Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:32:11 +0100

It's not in any sense a trick, even in Stata terms. It's just an
analogue of what you used to number observations sequentially

bys iis: g rater = _n

Using _N not _n counts the total number of observations. Thinking in
terms of _n and _N is a Stata fundamental.

John Antonakis

In fact, I had no missing data (and am aware that this can create
problems).....so the initial solution of Martin was correct and "loyal"
to the problem, though Nick's trick is also handy to know.

On 29.03.2009 18:29, Martin Weiss wrote:

> That is the thing about posts with example data in them. You can
> answer the request based on the structure of the data that you observe

> in the post. That means you assume that the poster knows best and gave

> an accurate representative sample of his data.
>
> Or you think ahead and anticipate that there must be some kind of
> problem in there that the poster does not regard as a problem, e.g.
> missing values. But you run into a new problem then: We do not know
> what John wants to happen if there are missing values. Maybe he still
> wants the -egen, count()- solution even then?
>
> I chose the former attitude to the problem, but I recommend that John
> pay close attention to Nick`s recommendation and implement them if he
> feels they do what he wants...

"Nick Cox" <[email protected]>

>> There will be a difference between the results
>>
>> bys iis: egen total_rater = count(rater)
>>
>> and
>>
>> bys iis : gen total_rater = _N
>>
>> if -rater- is ever missing; but otherwise the latter is more direct
and
>> more efficient.
>>
>> Incidentally, once you known that data are sorted on -iis-, the
second
>> command can just start -by iis:-.
>>
>> Nick
>> [email protected]
>>
>> Martin Weiss
>>
>> bys iis: g rater=_n
>> bys iis: egen total_rater=count(rater)
>>
>> John Antonakis
>>
>>> I have multiple observations on leaders (iis) by raters, like this:
>>>
>>> iis  sex  age   y  rater   total_rater
>>> 1    0    43    5    1        5
>>> 1    0    43    9    2        5
>>> 1    0    43    3    3        5