Re: st: question about tabstat and table

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: question about tabstat and table
Date   Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:21:56 +0000

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Victor M. Enciso M.
<> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have three vars: soap usage, language and study
> language and study can only take two values.
> If I want to get the mean of soap usage by language or study I can use
> tabstat
> tabstat soap usage, by(study)
> or if I want a two way table of study and language:
> table study language
> What I want, and don't know how to get is a two way table of study and
> language but instead of having the counts as result I want the mean of soap
> usage.
> Obviously, stata doesn't accept
> tabstat soap usage, by(study language)
> So, any suggestions?

Yes, -man tabstat- indicates that one of the Main options is
-statistics(statname [,,,])-

Thus you could...

bysort language: tabstat soap usage, by(study) statistics(mean)

...but you have separate tables for each language.

Other alternatives involve -collapse-ing your data to derive the means
in your sub-groupings and then reshaping and you can then
-outsheet-/-listtex-/-dataout- to the desired format (presumably you
want to put the numbers in some sort of report).  Note that -listtex-
and -dataout- are user-written commands available from ssc via -ssc
install [package]-

Yet other alternatives may be possible with the excellent -tabout-
also available from SSC

"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data." ~ John Tukey (1986), "Sunset salvo". The American
Statistician 40(1).

Email -
Website -
Photos -