st: question about tabstat and table

From   "Victor M. Enciso M." <>
Subject   st: question about tabstat and table
Date   Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:13:04 +0000

Dear all,

I have three vars: soap usage, language and study
language and study can only take two values.

If I want to get the mean of soap usage by language or study I can use tabstat

tabstat soap usage, by(study)

or if I want a two way table of study and language:

table study language

What I want, and don't know how to get is a two way table of study and language but instead of having the counts as result I want the mean of soap usage.

Obviously, stata doesn't accept

tabstat soap usage, by(study language)

So, any suggestions?

thank you.