RE: st: constrained sum of random values

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: constrained sum of random values
Date   Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:15:44 -0000

Carlo specified Stata 9.2; so he would need to use

125 + 25 * invnormal(uniform())

Not rnormal(125,25).

Otherwise Eva's reply shows that Carlo's question is open to various

Eva Poen

If you put such a constraint on your random values, it means that at
most 76 of them can be random; you need one value to bring the sum up
to 9900. This is very simple to do:

set obs 77
set seed 123
gen n = rnormal(125,25) in 1/76
qui sum n
replace n = 9900-r(sum) in 77

You didn't mention what kind of random values you want, i.e. which
distribution. I assumed normal distribution with mean 125 and sd of