st: What is this mode called? And how to get out of it?

From   Rachel <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: What is this mode called? And how to get out of it?
Date   Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:50:30 -0400

Occasionally, even without the -pause- command, Stata goes into a mode
in which anytime I type a command, it simply reprints it with a number
next to it.  For example,

1. exit, clear
2. quit
3. su var1

The command that gets Stata out of pause mode, -quit-, doesn't work in
this case. What is this mode called? And what command will let me exit
this mode and get back to the regular command line?

Thanks very much,
Rachel