Re: st: subsetting a matrix by rowname and column name

From   Austin Nichols <>
Subject   Re: st: subsetting a matrix by rowname and column name
Date   Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:09:50 -0400

Jacob Wegelin <> :

sysuse auto, clear
g b=1
qui probit foreign mpg
mat b=e(b)
scalar b=el(matrix(b),1,colnumb(matrix(b),"mpg"))
di scalar(b)
di b

Note that matrices, scalars, and variables share the same namespace,
which often leads to cryptic error messages or huge mistakes for the
less careful (you may prefer to use a local instead to avoid this
problem).  So say matrix(b) instead of b, and scalar(p) instead of p.