st: three-way tables, exporting to tex

From   Richard Ochmann <>
Subject   st: three-way tables, exporting to tex
Date   Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:45:47 +0100

how would you export a three-way table to a .tex document?

I would like to produce a summary table for a continuous variable over
three categorical variables. Cells shall contain means as well as
I found I can nicely do that with -table- (find my code below). Now I have
a hard time exporting the resulting table to a .tex document that I can
further edit in LaTeX.
I tried with user-written programs like -estout- and -tabout-. While
-tabout- brings me close, I didnt figure out how to do a three-way table
While this problem is certainly easily worked-around producing separate
two-way tables conditioning on the third variable and somehow combining
them, I would be happy to have a one-step solution here.

thanks for ideas!

Stata 10, WinXP

best, rich

webuse union
table year union south, c(freq mean grade)