Re: st: dprobit/nocons/mfx question

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: dprobit/nocons/mfx question
Date   Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:01:10 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 19/3/09, Martin Weiss wrote:
> How strong a case is there for the continued existence of
> -dprobit-? Somehow, it creates more problems than it
> solves...

The case for keeping -dprobit- is a case for backward
compatability, which is one of the strong points of Stata.
To maintain backward compatability, you should be very
careful about dropping a command. Basicly you should only
do so if it gives truely wrong results, and that is not the
case with -dprobit-. An altarnative to dropping the command
would be to depreciate it to an undocumented command (see:
-help undocumented-). That may not be a bad idea, but than
again, I usually use -logit- rather than -probit- so I
wouldn't notice anyhow.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie