Re: st: RE: Data aligning

From   Eva Poen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Data aligning
Date   Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:03:01 +0000

Anita,

it sounds to me like you are using Stata mainly interactively. You
should think about writing your commands up in do-files, which makes
it very easy to just change a line (-reshape- in your case) and re-run
the do-file. Also, the general advise by people on statalist is to
never overwrite your existing data file, and to not save different
versions of your data after having manipulated it. Instead, save in a
do-file the commands that got you there. This way, you can replicate
your findings, and you still have a chance of knowing what exactly you
typed after 3 months or so.

As to your current problem, I assume that you have not overwritten the
original data file that you had before the -reshape- attempt. If this
is the case, you can -preserve- your current data, then -drop _all-
and -use- your original file. Proceed with -reshape- as you have been
advised. Then save the resulting data temporarily, -restore-, and
-merge-.

Hope this helps,
Eva