RE: st: Clustered Data Format

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Clustered Data Format
Date   Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:03:59 -0000

Just a tweak on this excellent advice: Numbering at the end of variable
names is not compulsory so far as -reshape- is concerned, just a good
idea in that later analyses are likely to be easier that way.

Incidentally, Stata's idea of format is indicated by considering
-format-. These problems are more widely regarded as problems of data
structure.

Matt Spittal

The command -reshape- is one way to tackle this problem. The trick that
often catches me out is the naming of the y variable -- it needs to have
number at the end to signify the wave (e.g. y1, y2, ..., yn).

Using your example:

    clear
    input patientid    y_first    y_second    days_betw
    299729    0                  0            64
    295861    0.17               0.08         63
    292641    0.15               0.5          69
    end

We then rename the y variable

    rename y_first y1
    rename y_second y2

And then use the -reshape- command

    reshape long y, i(patientid) j(wave)

Note that you can convert a dataset from long format to wide format with
-reshape wide-.  Finally, I noticed that you want the variable days_betw
be set to zero if this is the first measurement.

    replace days_betw = 0 if wave == 1

See -help reshape- for more information on this command.