Re: st: manual first differencing

From   Eva Poen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: manual first differencing
Date   Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:12:55 +0000

Nola,

if you tell us what your ultimate goal is, we might be able to provide
better advice. Your command only gives correct results if
a) your data is already sorted by year, and
b) there are no gaps in your variables.

A better version is

generate fdpop = d.pop

which will take care of those things automatically.

However, you can also use the d. operator in regressions, e.g.

regress yvar d.pop

without actually creating the variables. If you do want to create the
variables, use a loop (see -help forvalues-).

Eva