st: RE: Re: reshape/collapse question (alas, again)

From   Howard Lempel <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: reshape/collapse question (alas, again)
Date   Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:55:55 -0400

Hi Ric,

I think the issue might be that you have two ID variables in your dataset (orientation and orientation1).  When you choose one as your j variable in the -reshape-, Stata doesn't know what to do with the other variable after reshaping.

Try the following:

Drop orientation

collapse (sum) congregations-attendeepct, by(orientation1 metrocode metroshortname metropop2000)

reshape wide congregations members adherents attendees adherentpct attendeepct, i(metrocode metroshortname metropop2000) j(orientation1)

You can use -decode- to recreate orientation afterwards if you'd like.  If this doesn't work, I'm stumped.

Hope this helps.
Howie

Howie Lempel
Research Assistant
The Brookings Institution | Economic Studies

1775 Massachusetts Ave NW | Washington DC 20036
[email protected] | p: (202) 238-3576