RE: st: Multilevel modelling of survival data

From   "Justin B Echouffo Tcheugui" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Multilevel modelling of survival data
Date   Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:57:06 -0000

Excuse my ignorance, but just to make sure that I am getting it right,
in this case the option - cluster() in this case does not fit the clinic
into the model as a random intercept
Thanks
Justin B.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Maarten buis
Sent: 16 March 2009 09:49
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Multilevel modelling of survival data

--- On Mon, 16/3/09, Maarten buis wrote:
> -stcox- has already some multilevel models built-in in
> the form of the -shared()- option.

This is a common problem in statistics: The same concept
(in this case random effects) is reinvented several times
by several people in several contexts, and thus given
different names. The concept of random effects is,
within the context of survival analysis, known as shared
frailty. This also explains the name of the -shared()-
option. This model is similar to a random intercept model.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen