Re: st: Maximum length of a string expression in a program

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Maximum length of a string expression in a program
Date   Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:10:56 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Mon, 16/3/09, Davide Cantoni wrote:
> I have a question related to programming a new program/ado
> file. I am encountering the problem that one of the
> arguments of my program might be too long as a string,
> going beyond the limit of 244 characters.
> I am encountering problems when running -mycommand- with a
> list of regressors that is longer than 244 characters.
> Then, the list is arbitrarily truncated after that limit.

You have to be a bit careful not to evaluate the local
containing such a long string (i.e. avoid using the "=" when
defining a local), but otherwise there should not be a
problem with -gettoken- or the extended macro functions (I
always type -help macro- and follow the link to the helpfile
for the extended macro functions), even if the local surpasses
the 244 tokens limit. This is illustrated in the example

*------------ begin example -------------------
forvalues i = 1/60 {
	local lstring "`lstring' very"
local lstring "`lstring' long string"

// the string has more than 244 characters:
di `: length local lstring'

// -gettoken- works:
gettoken first rest : lstring
di `:length local first'
di `:length local rest'
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see )

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen