st: R: linear regression question

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: R: linear regression question
Date   Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:17:50 +0100

Dear Galina,
your thread seems to refer to a log-linear model, where only the dependent
variable (i.e., Y) is log-transformed.

In a log-linear model, a unit-change in the independent variable X (i.e.,
DeltaX=1)is associated with a 100*Beta% change in Y.

For instance, a coefficient = 0.2 in your log-linear model means that the
dependent variable Y increases by [(0.2*100)%]=20% for each additional unit
of X.

You can find a lot more on this topic (and other related issues) in an
introductory econometric textbook (please, find some references below):

Koop G. Introduction to Econometrics. Wiley, 2007.
Stock JH, Watson MW. Introduction to Econometrics. Second Edition.Pearson
International Edition, 2007.
For Stata Users, the reference textbook is:
Baum K. An Introduction to Modern Econometrics Using Stata.

HTH and Kind Regards,