st: RE: Checkvar updated on SSC

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Checkvar updated on SSC
Date   Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:55:10 -0700

I've tried this for an hour or so and it's not up yet.  I think I recall
that Kit was going to be out of town for a while.  Would you (Phil)
remind us again when it is available.  Thanks.

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Phil Bardsley
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:46 AM
Subject: st: Checkvar updated on SSC

Thanks to Kit Baum, -checkvar- has been updated on the SSC archive. I've

added "if" and "in" options.

The -checkvar- command is intended to assist in checking a created
variable. It lists each value of the created variable and all
combinations of the component variables that were used to create it.

For those working with survey data, -checkvar- can display the pattern
of responses through a complex set of skip and filter questions. This is

useful when testing a new CAPI questionnaire as well as for cleaning and

analyzing survey data.

The -checkvar- command is modeled on the "list" option in SAS proc freq.

See also -groups- by Nick Cox on the SSC archive.

Phil Bardsley <>
Research Programming Services
Carolina Population Center
University of North Carolina