st: AW: RE: Problem importing data

Subject   st: AW: RE: Problem importing data
Date   Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:46:37 +0100

<>

BTW, there is nothing wrong with year being treated  as "int". See -help
data types-: The years conventionally found in today´s datasets are well
within the range of the maximum and minimum for "int"...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Howard Lempel
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 12. März 2009 15:30
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: RE: Problem importing data

Hi there,

You'll get a better answer if you give a bit more detail.  Two things that
would be particularly helpful: 1) What exactly does your data look like?  Is
"country" a string variable with the names of different countries?  Or does
it consist of numbers that are codes for countries?  2) Exactly what
commands have you typed into Stata so far and exactly what error message did
you get?

That being said, you may want to take a look at -help encode-, which creates
a new variable giving assigning a unique number to each value of a string
variable.  If your country variable already consists of numbers, -help
destring- will convert it to a numeric variable.  Some non-numeric
characters may have found their way into your country variable, in which
case, you'll need to eliminate those before -destring-ing.

Once you convert country to a numeric variable, you should be able to
-xtset- your data, which tells Stata that your data is a panel and specifies
which variables contain your cross-sectional and time units.

Lastly, you might want to try importing your data using the Stata command
-xmluse- or saving your data as a CSV and using -insheet-.

Hope this helps.
Howie