Re: st: hlm utility in Stata10

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   Re: st: hlm utility in Stata10
Date   Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:46:46 -0400

A common problem is that HLM (and hence -hlm-) reads and writes
old Stata format. Unfortunately, even if you set -version 8.2-,
Stata will by default save in Stata 10 format. You can get around
this with the -saveold- command, but I think you have to make
sure you call -hlm- using an external Stata dataset instead of
the data in memory.

Grigore Pop-Eleches wrote:

I was wondering if you'd be kind enough to post the following question on Statalist.

"I have been trying to run Sean Reardon's hlm utility in Stata 10, and even though I have successfully installed HLM 6.0 and the hlm module, and set the path name, I keep getting an error message in Stata saying "file HLM2MDM.STS not found" and in a separate window another message that HLM does not recognize my version of Stata. When running the mkmdm command, Stata creates a new .dta file, as well as a .mdmt and a .mdmvars file but not a .mdm file.

Does anyone have an idea what could be going on? Does hlm only run with Stata 8.2 but not later versions? Or am I doing something wrong?

Grigore Pop-Eleches
Politics Dep't - Princeton University