RE: st: AW: preserving missing values when using total

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: AW: preserving missing values when using total
Date   Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:03:31 -0000

-update- your Stata. This -missing- option was added in Stata 10.1. (That was a good reason for me not to mention this solution in the 2005 posting you mentioned.)

The FAQ underlines that 10.1 is the current version and that you should make it clear if you are using an earlier version.

If an -update- is impossible for you now, as you are not sysadmin, it can be done otherwise. You said that you knew that in your first post!

bysort year (accounts) : gen accounts_total = sum(accounts)
by year : replace accounts_total = ///
	cond(missing(accounts[1]), ., accounts_total[_N])

Srini

STATA is giving me an error saying that I'm not allowed to use the option missing with egen/total.

I'm using version 10 - is there another command I can try?

--- On Sun, 3/8/09, Martin Weiss <[email protected]> wrote:

> by year, sort : egen float accounts_total =
> total(accounts), missing

Srini