RE: st: IRT with GLLAMM

From   "Joseph Coveney" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: IRT with GLLAMM
Date   Sat, 7 Mar 2009 21:24:44 +0900

Jay Verkuilen wrote:

The usual 2PL model has only one random effect but the model is bilinear. Let
t_i be the random trait of subject i. Then for item j

     logit(p_ij) = a_j * t_i + b_j

Usually specify

     T ~ N(0,1).

There are other specifications. Estimation is then MML with integration over T.

The Rasch model restricts a_j = a, or, equivalently, estimates the variance of
T.  This model can be easily fit by MML using -xtlogit- or -xtmelogit- by
stacking the data long and using item dummies as fixed effects. There is a nice
example out there showing how to do this with -clogit- by Phil Ender on ATS web
page (Google for it, I can't dig it out right now).

Thanks, Jay; I stand corrected--and reminded that the item dummy variables are
not being used as indicators for separately estimated variances.  The factor
variables on the single random effect.  If there's a way to get -xtmelogit-'s
random effects equation to specify regression of variables on a random effect
(for the two-parameter logistic IRT model), then it escapes me, too.  It seems
that what's needed for -xtmelogit- is something analogous to its
-covariance(identity)-, but with the ability to fit (all but one of) the
diagonal elements of that option's identity matrix as regression coefficients
instead of being fixed at 1.

Joseph Coveney