st: RE: memory problem

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: memory problem
Date   Thu, 5 Mar 2009 17:05:49 -0000

In addition to other good advice, note that you get best results by
being specific about your computing set-up. For example, I guess that
this refers to Stata on Windows, but that's not explicit. Assuming
that's the case

. search memory windows

points to lots of advice. Naturally, omit "Windows" if not appropriate.

Rudy Fichtenbaum

I am trying to load a single year of the General Social Survey but I
don't seem to have enough memory. I have 2g and Stata 10/SE but Stata
will only let me assign 1g and that doesn't seem to be enough. Stata
suggests dropping variables but since I can't load the dataset I don't
know how I could drop variables. Any suggestions?