Re: st: Generating a new variable....tricky question?

From   Antoine Terracol <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Generating a new variable....tricky question?
Date   Thu, 05 Mar 2009 14:22:19 +0100

bysort country (year) : gen newvar=FDI*GDP[1]

Antoine

A. Acharya wrote:
> hello,
>

> I have a panel dataset with variables for 88 countries each for 5 time
> periods.
>
> E.g.
> country    year  GDP  FDI
> Algeria      1    x    .
> Algeria      2    .    .
> Algeria      3    .    .
> Algeria      4    .    .
> Algeria      5    .    .
> Argentina    1    y    .
> Argentina    2    .    .
> Argentina    3    .    .
> Argentina    4    .    .
> Argentina    5    .    .
> etc
> etc
>

> Where the dots indicate particular numeric observations. I want to generate
> a new variable which for EACH country multiplies FDI by the INITIAL GDP
> value in year 1. E.g. for the case of Algeria, FDI in year 1 would be
> multiplied by GDP in year 1 (denoted by x), then FDI in year 2 would be
> multiplied by GDP in year 1 (denoted by x), then FDI in year 3 would be
> multiplied by GDP in year 1 (denoted by x) and so on. Then obviously, once
> we get to argentina, it should start multiplying by GDP in argentina's year
> 1 (denoted by y) and then year 2 FDI in argentina by y and so on.
>
> My question is: How can I generate this variable?
>
> I would really appreciate your help.
>
> Anish
> (University of Cambridge)

Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
suspect n'a ete trouve.