st: AW: Generating a new variable....tricky question?

Subject   st: AW: Generating a new variable....tricky question?
Date   Thu, 5 Mar 2009 14:20:16 +0100

<>

Anish should -after following Eva`s advice- devote some time to
http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=pr0004

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von A. Acharya
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 5. März 2009 14:08
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: Generating a new variable....tricky question?

hello,

I have a panel dataset with variables for 88 countries each for 5 time
periods.

E.g.
country    year  GDP  FDI
Algeria      1    x    .
Algeria      2    .    .
Algeria      3    .    .
Algeria      4    .    .
Algeria      5    .    .
Argentina    1    y    .
Argentina    2    .    .
Argentina    3    .    .
Argentina    4    .    .
Argentina    5    .    .
etc
etc

Where the dots indicate particular numeric observations. I want to generate
a new variable which for EACH country multiplies FDI by the INITIAL GDP
value in year 1. E.g. for the case of Algeria, FDI in year 1 would be
multiplied by GDP in year 1 (denoted by x), then FDI in year 2 would be
multiplied by GDP in year 1 (denoted by x), then FDI in year 3 would be
multiplied by GDP in year 1 (denoted by x) and so on. Then obviously, once
we get to argentina, it should start multiplying by GDP in argentina's year
1 (denoted by y) and then year 2 FDI in argentina by y and so on.

My question is: How can I generate this variable?

I would really appreciate your help.

Anish
(University of Cambridge)