st: stata resources available for funnel plots?

From   Rosa Gini <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: stata resources available for funnel plots?
Date   Thu, 05 Mar 2009 12:30:20 +0100

dear statalisters,

we are developing a project for comparison of institutional performance,
and wish to perform the analysis suggested by david spiegelhalter in his
papers

D Spiegelhalter, Funnel plots for institutional comparison,  Qual Saf
Health Care 2002;11:390-391

http://qshc.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/11/4/390-a

David J. Spiegelhalter, Funnel plots for comparing institutional
performance, Statistics in Medicine, Volume 24 Issue 8, Pages 1185 - 1202

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/109800995/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

in short, the idea is to plot proportions (or standardized rates,...) in
funnel plots against a measure of their precision in order to detect outliers. there are available resources to perform such analysis with MS Excel on some NHS websites such as

http://www.erpho.org.uk/topics/tools/funnel.aspx#17487

we are looking for available resources in Stata, but we only found "funnel" which is meant to interact with metan which is written for more complex comparisons (ie metanalysis of risk ratio, odds ratios, risk differences)

any suggestion? should we try and adapt metan?

thanks for your attention,

rosa gini and silvia forni

=================================
Rosa Gini
Dottore di Ricerca in Matematica
Osservatorio di Epidemiologia
Agenzia Regionale di Sanita' della Toscana
Viale Giovanni Milton, 7
50129 Firenze
www.arsanita.toscana.it
Tel +39 055 4624341