AW: AW: AW: AW: st: AW: problem with the generate command

Subject   AW: AW: AW: AW: st: AW: problem with the generate command
Date   Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:51:11 +0100

<>

Ok, I also cleaned the data prior to firing up Stata to make the thing work.
This is a very active thread (16 exchanges!) so let`s hope Isabell is still
with us and gives us an update whether we resolved her problem :-)

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Steven Samuels
Gesendet: Dienstag, 3. März 2009 17:10
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: AW: AW: AW: st: AW: problem with the generate command

--

Martin, I did have a problem with the data. I copied the data from
email. I had to zap the gremlins with a text editor before the -gen-

The data were tab delimited with no quotes.

Here is the revised version.
type d01.txt
insheet country healthinit health using d01.txt, tab
gen h3= trim(regexr(healthinit,"\.\.","."))
destring h3, gen(h)

Output
. type d01.txt
Afghanistan     13.00   23.32
American Samoa  ..      1.06
Andorra 1922.17 54.06

. insheet country healthinit health using d01.txt, tab
(3 vars, 3 obs)

. gen h3= trim(regexr(healthinit,"\.\.","."))

. destring h3, gen(h)
h3 has all characters numeric; h generated as double
(1 missing value generated)

.