AW: st: BRR Bootstrap weights w/xt commands

Subject   AW: st: BRR Bootstrap weights w/xt commands
Date   Mon, 2 Mar 2009 16:06:08 +0100

<>

"As far as I know, Stat Canada uses SAS in house, and that is
almost impossible to change until a new generation of analysts grows
up who demand Stata..."

There was participation from Stat Canada people at the Chicago UGM last
year, though, and they had a couple of wishes @ the "wishes and grumbles".
So the jury is obviously still out...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Stas Kolenikov
Gesendet: Montag, 2. März 2009 15:54
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: BRR Bootstrap weights w/xt commands

Use -bs4rw- command that was written by Jeff Pitblado for this
purpose. As far as I know, Stat Canada uses SAS in house, and that is
almost impossible to change until a new generation of analysts grows
up who demand Stata... or at least until those analysts progress high
enough in the decision making circles to influence the software
choice.

I will be teaching a short course on survey bootstrap, bootstrap
weights and Stata implementation at the Joint Statistical Meetings in
Washington, DC.

Note that there are weird interpretational difficulties with
longitudinal survey data. What is the population to which the sample
results can be generalized? The straightforward interpretation of
weights as inverse probability of selection is that it is the
population that existed at the time when the sample was first taken.
If there have been any changes to the sample (refreshment, rotation,
etc.), then the population to which the sampling weights scale up the
sample may not have ever existed. David Binder and Georgia Roberts of
Stat Canada gave a talk about these issues a couple of years ago, but
to my knowledge the journal they sent it to could not find
knowledgeable enough referees to go through this, so it got kinda
stuck somewhere in the pipeline.