Re: st: Will Stata MP be faster than Stata SE in a cluster of Playstations 3?

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: Will Stata MP be faster than Stata SE in a cluster of Playstations 3?
Date   Mon, 2 Mar 2009 09:50:46 +0000

Tiago V. Pereira wrote:
> Dear experts,
> Since Playstations 3 possess the cell chip with a kind of 8 processors,
> will Stata MP be faster than Stata SE in a cluster formed by Playstations
> 3 running Ubuntu?

I think your first problem will be getting either version of Stata to
actually run under Linux on the PPC arch.

The GNU/Linux versions of Stata available are "32-bit (x86 or
compatible), or 64-bit (Intel Itanium, x86-64 or compatible)" detailed
at .

Although it does indicate that the Mac OSX version of Stata (only
available as 32-bit, although the PPC chipset of the PS3 is capable of
64-bit) well work on all Intel and PPC archs, and given OSX is
basically a hammed up version of various BSD components there might be
an exceptionally slim chance of success, but I very much doubt it.

More one for Stata Corp. Tech Support, but I have a strong suspicion
that the number of people wishing to run Stata under Linux on a PS3
(or even cluster of PS3's) might not be sufficient to make it
financially viable endeavour (although there are plenty of
people/groups who have recognised the power of the PS3 and the
potential for clustering them, see )*

* Currently awaiting a USB wireless keyboard/mouse so I can forge
ahead with installing Gentoo GNU/Linux on the PS3 I recently purchased
with the intention of a) installing Gentoo and using it as a
media-centre in the living room; b) occasionally playing games!
"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data." ~ John Tukey

Email -
Website -
Photos -