RE: st: Re: controlling output in the results window

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Re: controlling output in the results window
Date   Sun, 1 Mar 2009 17:51:02 -0000

There seems to be scope for simplifying the code here. For example,
in your calling program -scolfirm- is a local macro containing a number.

You could just pass that to your Mata function as a real scalar. The
same goes for some other arguments.

Also, you do the double conversion

strtoreal(st_local("scolFirm"))

twice, which is not necessary.

On a different point, there are so many wired-in constants here that it
is difficult to see any gain over a few lines of a do-file. Perhaps you
are working gradually towards a more general program.

Here is a revised (and untested) version.

program ProduceResults

	version 10.1
	mata: OutputFn("eofb","sFirmModelResults", `1', `2', `3')

end

version 10.1
mata:
void OutputFn(eofb,sFirmModelResults, real scalar Begin, real scalar
End, real scalar Firm)
{
	printf("Results for Event Period beginning with trading day
%4.0f and
ending at day %4.0f.\n", Begin, End)
	FirmModelVar = st_matrixcolstripe("e(b)")[.,2]
	printf("Average Firm Adjusted R Square %12.4f\n",
	st_matrix(sFirmModelResults)[1,Firm])
	printf("\n")

	printf("{txt}Average Firm Model{c |}        Coef        SampSE
t-stat       p-val\n")
	printf("{hline 18}{c +}{hline 52}\n")
	for (mi=1; mi<= Firm-1; mi++) {

		printf("{txt}   %13s  {c |}", FirmModelVar[mi])

		for (mj=1; mj <=4; mj++) {

			printf("{res}
%9.4f",st_matrix(sFirmModelResults)[mj,mi])

		}

		printf("\n")

	}

}
end

Thomas Jacobs

Well call me pig-headed but I just could not let go of this until I
figured out how to get it working.  In the end it required either
converting mata values(matrices) to stata locals(matrices) so they
could be passed to the mata function.  I post it here not just for
posterity but for anyone else trying to pass a stata matrix to a mata
function within an ado file.  Hopefully it will save someone the many
hours I spent trying to get it to work.  Both eofb and
sFirmModelResults are stata matrices.  The latter was created from a
mata matrix FirmModelResults using

st_replacematrix("sFirmModelResults",FirmModelResults)

and the ado follows:

program ProduceResults

	version 10.1
	local EventBeginDay "`1'"
	local EventEndDay "`2'"
	local scolFirm "`3'"

	mata: OutputFn("eofb","sFirmModelResults")

end

version 10.1
mata:
void OutputFn(eofb,sFirmModelResults)
{
	printf("Results for Event Period beginning with trading day
%4.0f and
ending at day %4.0f.\n",
		 strtoreal(st_local("EventBeginDay")),
strtoreal(st_local("EventEndDay")))

	colFirm = strtoreal(st_local("scolFirm"))

	FirmModelVar = st_matrixcolstripe("e(b)")[.,2]

	printf("Average Firm Adjusted R Square %12.4f\n",

st_matrix(sFirmModelResults)[1,strtoreal(st_local("scolFirm"))])
	printf("\n")

	printf("{txt}Average Firm Model{c |}        Coef        SampSE
t-stat       p-val\n")
	printf("{hline 18}{c +}{hline 52}\n")
	for (mi=1; mi<= colFirm-1; mi++) {