Re: st: Using -sampsi- for clustered observations

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Using -sampsi- for clustered observations
Date   Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:24:22 -0500

--

Ted, the answer depends on the purpose of your study: descriptive, comparative? What is being compared o? Will the factor defining the comparisons (age, exposure) differ between families, between individuals in the same familie, both? Are you interested in comparing means or comparing slopes/ changes in the repeated measurements? Do you have choices on the number of people to take within families, or, do you have to take all eligible? Is the number of repeated measurements related to the outcome (e.g. censored because of worsening condition). Do you plan on multilevel modeling, or do you just need to adjust standard errors for family differences?

Of other concerns--how were the families selected? Did you identify eligible subjects according to some criterion and then take their families? Or was there recruitment (hopefully random sampling!) of families.

I don't think that there is a general answer to your question, and simulation might be the best approach.

In any case, the Joanne Garrett's -sampclus- ("search sampclus, all") and the accompanying paper(http://econpapers.repec.org/article/ tsjstbull/y_3A2001_3Av_3A10_3Ai_3A60_3Asxd4.htm) may help.

-Steve