AW: st: AW: RE: Problem looping over spells for an individual

Subject   AW: st: AW: RE: Problem looping over spells for an individual
Date   Fri, 27 Feb 2009 22:04:57 +0100

<>

It is difficult for an outsider to make up data for your specific problem;
therefore either frame the prob in terms of a dataset shipped with Stata or
-set trace on- and report the area around the error...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Ilona Carneiro
Gesendet: Freitag, 27. Februar 2009 19:09
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: AW: RE: Problem looping over spells for an individual

Thanks for these suggestions, Nick. Some of them seem to require
"tsset"ing the data. However, I am trying to adapt the code from
panelthin.ado, but can't quite get it to work for me.  I've been
battling with this for a couple of days now and I can't seem to find a
way to loop over consecutive observations for an individual. I see
that in panelthin, it automatically works separately on each panel
because it is tsset, but how can I do this for survival time "stset"
data?

I've written a little sub-programme to see if I can get this to work.
Generation of a local for _N now works and does give the correct count
of observations per individual. However, my generation of the tempvar
`t' to define the sequential observations (_n) for each individual
doesn't work. Any suggestions?

		capture program drop temp
		program define temp, byable(recall, noheader) sortpreserve

		qui{
		marksample touse
		count if `touse'
		if r(N) == 0 error 2000

		tempvar T t
		sort `_byvars' start
		by `_byvars': gen `t' = _n * `touse'
		sort `_byvars' start
		by `_byvars': gen `T' = _N * `touse'
		sort `_byvars' start
		sum `T', meanonly
		local tmax = r(max)
		drop `T'

		replace lagend = (end + 19 + 1) if (anmal > 0 & anmal < .)
		sort pin start
		forvalues i = 1(1)`tmax' {
			drop if end < lagend[`i'-1] & lagend[`i'-1] < . &
`t'==`i' & `i'!=1
			replace lagend = (end + 21 + 1) if (mal0 > 0 & mal0
< .) &
lagend==. & `i'<`tmax'
			}
		}
		end

		bysort id: temp

regards

Ilona

On 26 Feb 2009, at 13:20, Nick Cox wrote:

> Thanks for this, which is good news for me because it explains why
> the code I was seeing looked as it did.
>
> In terms of moving forward, I have a few vague suggestions.
>
> 0. Spells. See the suggestions on reading and software in the thread
> started by Jakob Petersen yesterday.

<http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/lwgate/STATALIST/archives/statalist.090
2/date/article-1122.html