st: AW: dropping digits from variables in Stata 10

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: dropping digits from variables in Stata 10
Date   Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:11:52 +0100

No need to apologize. See

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Ekaterina
Gesendet: Montag, 23. Februar 2009 12:03
Betreff: st: dropping digits from variables in Stata 10

Dear All,
I am rather new to Stata so I apologize in advance if these are rather
silly questions, but I googled around extensively and searched Stata
help and cannot find an adequate solution.
1) I have got a variable consisting of 7 digit zipcodes. I want to
create a second variable which will only  consist of the first 3 digits
of each zip-code and I cannot find a way to do it.
2) Some of the zipcodes start with 00, e.g 0037845 and Stata drops the
front 00 turning such zipcodes into 5-digit numbers (e.g. 37845). I need
to make Stata understand that these 00 are meaningful and return them
back into the zipcodes and I cannot find how to do this. They were
present in my original csv file, but when I converted it into a Stata
file using Stattransfer they were gone.
I will be most grateful for any help or advice,
Sincerely yours,

Ekaterina Hertog (née Korobtseva)
Career Development Fellow
Department of Sociology and Nissan Institute of Japanese Studies
University of Oxford

27 Winchester Road
United Kingdom