st: re: problems with Windows Vista

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: problems with Windows Vista
Date   Sun, 22 Feb 2009 07:24:48 -0500

<>
Gaby said

I always run Stata as administrator in windows vista, for updating or not. I find, it runs smoother.

The whole point of having an administrator role or, as in Unix/Linux/ MacOSX, a 'superuser' is to ensure that any 'ordinary' user process cannot stomp on stuff that should be left alone (not only other users' files, which may not be at issue for a single-user system, but more importantly system files). You could probably run any Vista system (or *nix system) all the time as admin (or 'root'), but it would be a Very Bad Idea. The fact that Vista requires you to (at least some of the time) use admin privilege to work with a statistical package (i.e., to upgrade its executable or ado-files) is an illustration of why Windows--even Vista, with its touted improvements--has had such a poor track record with regard to system security, viruses, malware, spyware, etc.etc. On a *nix system, I can install, update and run Stata without acting in an admin role. On a *nix server, I have to make a few changes using admin privileges to make Stata available to all users. But that does not apply to a single-user *nix system. But maybe Windows 7 will be able to catch up with the *nix security model circa 1975.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html