st: Re: controlling output in the results window

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: controlling output in the results window
Date   Sat, 21 Feb 2009 08:20:14 -0500

<>
First of all do not compile your function into a .mo. (I know, my slides show how to do that, but it confuses the issue here). Put all of the Mata code in the do-file that you're running. You need not make an ado-file out of it.

The error at the execution of your Mata function presumably results from "ColFirm" being something other than a numeric scalar. That is what you have told Mata to expect. In hprescott.ado I pass a number, stored in local macro smooth, to the Mata routine. Note how it is `smooth', not "`smooth'".

Your function is looking for a matrix FirmModelResults, but you are declaring it as a string scalar. If you generate a matrix in Stata and want to use it in Mata, the easiest way is via st_matrix(). Likewise FirmModelVar is a matrix, so should be transferred as such. The reason why hprescott uses string scalars is that it has to exchange lists of variable names with Stata. The logic would be quite different if it was exchanging matrices with Stata.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html