Re: st: Fwd: AW: Really basic question

From   Ted Fuller <>
Subject   Re: st: Fwd: AW: Really basic question
Date   Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:19:41 -0500

Thanks. I'll take a look at those.

At 01:56 PM 2/20/2009, you wrote:
I suggest using one of the many online guides that walk you through
using the Do File editor and command windows by showing you some step- by-step screenshots.
The documents linked below visually guide you through using the Do
File editor and the differences between interactive mode and batch mode.

Good luck,

Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute
Texas A&M University
Office: +979.845.6754
Fax: +979.845.0249

On Feb 20, 2009, at 12:39 PM, Ted Fuller wrote:

My thanks to Martin, but I am still not getting very far.
See my notes below.
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:51:34 +0100
From: Martin Weiss <>

Well, several things really. First, type -doedit- and you get a
window that
lets you store a basic text file which you can subsequently -run-
by going
to "Tools- Run".

I can open the window that Martin refers to.

Type, for instance, -sysuse auto, clear- in there and see
what happens when you -run- that.

All I get is:

. run "C:\DOCUME~1\TEDFUL~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\STD02000000.tmp"

I don't know what it means. I doesn't seem very interesting.

Now you argue that you do know how to operate Stata from the dialog
If that is true, then you can simply copy from Stata`s review
window via
right-click and paste into the editor opened via -doedit-. Assemble
a few of
your commands there, and -run- them and see what happens.

I'm obviously very dense. I found the review window, but the right
click only gives me two options:
Save review contents...

When I select "Save review contents...", it tries to save it to a
file on my hard-drive, as opposed to
allowing me to paste it into my editor.
Please see one more comment below.

Even easier: Choose your commands that you want in the command file
down ctrl while selecting so you can select non-contiguous areas of
in the review window), right-click and select "Send to Do-File

What I pick up between the lines in your post is that you think a
must have some "magic" component which makes it a do-file. But it
is usually
no more than a collection of Stata commands, interspersed with
comments (add
"// " to the beginning of a line). when you save it (File-Save as),
the file
extension ".do" is appended, but that is it, really...

All this advice is assembled in -help
contents_programming_dofiles-, BTW. If
you want examples of professional do-files, try the collections of
data that
come with Stata Press books, for instance

Finally, let me give you an example so you can get started faster.
Copy it
into the window opened by -doedit- and -run- and see how that works

sysuse auto, clear
regress price weight turn rep78
test _b[turn]==2
estat hettest

I tried this, and all I got was:
unrecognized command:  estat

I am forwarding this to the list. Feel free to reply to the list,
sure that you post as "text-only" along the way...