st: AW: Really basic question

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: Really basic question
Date   Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:51:34 +0100

Well, several things really. First, type -doedit- and you get a window that
lets you store a basic text file which you can subsequently -run- by going
to "Tools- Run". Type, for instance, -sysuse auto, clear- in there and see
what happens when you -run- that.

Now you argue that you do know how to operate Stata from the dialog boxes.
If that is true, then you can simply copy from Stata`s review window via
right-click and paste into the editor opened via -doedit-. Assemble a few of
your commands there, and -run- them and see what happens.

Even easier: Choose your commands that you want in the command file (hold
down ctrl while selecting so you can select non-contiguous areas of commands
in the review window), right-click and select "Send to Do-File Editor".

What I pick up between the lines in your post is that you think a do-file
must have some "magic" component which makes it a do-file. But it is usually
no more than a collection of Stata commands, interspersed with comments (add
"// " to the beginning of a line). when you save it (File-Save as), the file
extension ".do" is appended, but that is it, really...

All this advice is assembled in -help contents_programming_dofiles-, BTW. If
you want examples of professional do-files, try the collections of data that
come with Stata Press books, for instance

Finally, let me give you an example so you can get started faster. Copy it
into the window opened by -doedit- and -run- and see how that works out...

sysuse auto, clear
regress price weight turn rep78
test _b[turn]==2
estat hettest

I am forwarding this to the list. Feel free to reply to the list, making
sure that you post as "text-only" along the way...