Re: st: Jackknifing on Stata

From   Richard Goldstein <>
Subject   Re: st: Jackknifing on Stata
Date   Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:56:30 -0500

correct -- to the best of my knowledge, Stata only supports delete-1 jackknife

Nick Cox wrote:
OK. I'm thinking back to the original senses. I don't think that Stata
supports that kind of thing directly. Correct? Nick

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Richard
Sent: 20 February 2009 13:43
Subject: Re: st: Jackknifing on Stata

nope -- there is actually lots of literature on using grouped, or delete
"d" jackknife

e.g., see, Efron, B. (1982), _The Jackknife, the Bootstrap and other resampling plans_, Philadelphia: SIAM (e.g., p. 7)

Efron, B and Tibshirani, R (1993), _An Introduction to the Bootstrap_, NY: Chapman and Hall (e.g., p149)

Nick Cox wrote:
My understanding of jackknifing is that it is virtually _defined_ as
leaving each value out in turn and combining all the results to see what that indicates about variability. It may be that you want some other cross-validation procedure, and well and good, but Stata's jackknifing procedures will not I think provide it. Nick