st: compare files, vars only

From   David Kantor <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: compare files, vars only
Date   Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:41:10 -0500

Does anyone know of a program to compare the sets of variables in two data files? What I have in mind is something akin to -cf-, but...
 it would not compare values -- only the names of variables;
it would not care whether the two data files had the same number of observations.

I was planning to write such a program, but I wanted to be sure that it hadn't already been done.