st: AW: help with pctile

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: help with pctile
Date   Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:01:02 +0100

Nothing wrong, I would say: You asked for 100 values, in this case
percentiles, and told Stata to store them alongside the rest of your data.
What else could Stata do but comply and open a new column in your dataset?
For this column, there are only 100 values to fill the first 100
observations. As Stata hates to leave cells empty - in contrast to popular
spreadsheet software- it fills the rest with missings.
BTW, if you want the same results stored in returned results, look at

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Janneke Pieters
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. Februar 2009 14:52
Betreff: st: help with pctile

Dear users,

I want to generate 100 percentiles for a variable called cmpce. These
will be used later to calculate the mean of cmpce for each percentile.
In Stata10 I type:

pctile percentile = cmpce [pweight = weight], nquantiles(100) genp(pctile)

The new variables percentile and pctile only have a value for the first
100 observations in my data, and a missing value for the other 102257
observations. Is something wrong with my command?

Thanks in advance,
Janneke Pieters