RE: st: multivariate normal regression with ml, linear form

From   "Carlo Fezzi" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: multivariate normal regression with ml, linear form
Date   Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:26:02 -0000

Thanks Maarten,

Sound really a good idea! Just a follow up question. I am trying to check what the code does and therefore look into the macro `u_k' to make sure it contains what I want. In this simple case I want it to contain "u1 u2 u3". So I am typing:

scalar u1 = 1
scalar u2 = 5
scalar u3 = -1

local u_k "u1"

forvalues i = 2/3 {
	local u_k "`u_k' u`i'"
	display `u_k'

display `u_k'

Why when I ask Stata to display the macro content inside the loop it works fine but when I ask it just after the loop, Stata does not return any value?

I guess this is probably a naive question from a beginner Stata programmer, sorry!