RE: st: RE: graph hbox with ylabel(angle())

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: graph hbox with ylabel(angle())
Date   Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:17:00 -0000

My wording is preserved here, so I will underline that "looks like a
glitch" is as much as I said. I prefer not to claim bugs unless I can
see the incorrect code (especially if it's mine).

David Airey

So that is 2 bugs in graph hbox. One I noted in the other thread on -
graph hbox- where the justification option in the -graph editor- draws
the y axis away from the plot proper, and this bug you describe.

On Feb 17, 2009, at 5:50 AM, Nick Cox wrote:

> My experiments match yours. It looks like a glitch in the -graph-
> code.
>
> You can do this something similar -- but not identical -- with
> -stripplot- from SSC.
>
> There's also scope for hybridising box plots and strip plots to get
> over
> some of the limitations of box plots.
>
> For example,
>
> sysuse auto
> egen loq = pctile(mpg), by(foreign) p(25)
> egen upq = pctile(mpg), by(foreign) p(75)
> stripplot mpg, ms(none) over(foreign) box(barw(0.2)) addplot(scatter
> foreign mpg if !inrange(mpg, loq, upq))
>
> Although it's not in the code above,
>
> xla(, ang(45) labsize(small))
>
> works with -stripplot- too.

tess stafford

> As far as I understand, ylabel for "graph hbox" refers to the x-axis,
> which is the axis that I am trying to modify.  The angle suboption
> does
> seem to work in over(var2,label(angle(45))), but this modifies the
> y-axis labels and I am trying to modify the x-axis labels.

[email protected]