Re: st: eqivalent to stkerhaz for discrete time survival analysis?

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: eqivalent to stkerhaz for discrete time survival analysis?
Date   Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:27:30 -0500

--

Hilde-

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with -stkerhaz- (please show the source for non-official commands). Model your analysis after the example starting on the bottom of page 8 of http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/files/ teaching/stephenj/ec968/pdfs/STB-39-pgmhaz.pdf. (The -pgmhaz- command has the same general set up as -pgmhaz8- and -hshaz-.) You must - expand- your data as Jenkins does. Start with a small unit (months? quarters? years?) Create an indicator variable for each interval. If the number of events per interval is small, group the original intervals as Jenkins does In your set-up, you had only two intervals; you should be able to get estimates for many more, unless the number of events in your data is very small. In Jenkins's example on page 11, he created six final intervals with only 31 events.

To estimate a probability for each interval, you must include all the interval indicators in the model and omit the constant (nocons option). Omit observations and indicators for intervals in which there are no events. To minimize fitting problems, use the options "difficult tech(dfp)" as in the last example in the -hshaz- help. You might also try -pgmhaz8-; it is another frailty model and will probably have fewer convergence problems.

Calculate the probabilities by yourself; Let interval j have dummy variable dj. You can estimate the baseline probability for interval j after running -hshaz- by:

gen p_j = exp(-exp(_b[dj]))

A -forval- statement will automate the process, e.g.:

forvalues j =1/12 {
gen p_`j' = exp(-exp(_b[d`j']))
}

If you add interactions with log(time) (recommended, rather than with time itself), the p's will be legitimate baseline probabilities for the situation when non-time covariates have value zero. In your example, you had a completely different probability at each interval for men and women. If you conclude you need separate probabilities, just fit the models separately for each gender. You might well find that different covariates matter for men and women, for example marital status, age, or number of children.

-Steve