Re: st: RE: RE: time trend in a panel with very SHORT time dimension

Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: time trend in a panel with very SHORT time dimension
Date   Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:02:13 -0500

Jun Zhou <[email protected]>:
A minor clarification--you don't need at least two observations for
each firm, but firms with only one observation will contribute nothing
to the estimate of trend in a FE model, and will only water down the
results.  You will get slightly smaller standard errors on the trend
if you exclude firms that can only contribute one observation (and
same unbiasedness, assuming missing data is missing at random as
before, but you can actually do better or worse with respect to bias
if missingness is nonrandom).

Steven suggested that the underlying trend may be changing over time
(i.e. nonlinear change with time), or different firms may have
different trends--these questions go back to: what do you want to
estimate?  If there is some hypothetical superpopulation or DGP with a
linear trend, and you regard variation around that linear trend (by
time period or by firm or both) as error, then you will do pretty well
with your current approach, but presumably you can do slightly better
if you impose some structure on those putative errors, or much worse
if your assumptions turn out to be wrong.