RE: st: RE: RE: time trend in a panel with very SHORT time dimension

From   Jun Zhou <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: time trend in a panel with very SHORT time dimension
Date   Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:53:20 -0500

Hello Steve, Al, and Austin,

Thank you all for these great suggestions!
Yes, the starting point of my doubt was the time series data, which indicates that it is improper to try to identify a time trend for a series of less than 25 observation.
My question just requires whether there is an upward/downward trend, hence, I just use the linear trend for simplicity. Steve and Austin, thank you specially for those economic insights.
Al, thank you so much for pointing out this non-parametric method. I will use it for robustness check.

Thanks again. Hope you have a great weekend!
Jun

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Steven Samuels
Sent: February 13, 2009 1:02 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: RE: time trend in a panel with very SHORT time dimension

Jun, why do you think five years is " too short?  Standard books on
longitudinal data (e.g. Diggle, Liang,Zeger, 1996) show series as
short. Even series of two or three periods can be analyzed.  Perhaps
you are thinking of time series data. If you wanted to time series
analyses (-help time series-), you would indeed need many more
periods, but nobody is suggesting a TS approach.

Your analyses and  Alan's suggestion will indeed test for a trend,.
If you want to model the trend, I suggest a full longitudinal
analysis.  Plot the trajectories to examine their form. How do you
know the trend is linear?  How do you know that, as your models
imply, the slopes are identical?

If the five-year intervals start in different years, you might have a
problem generalizing to a trend over the whole period.  However you
can add a "year" of start as a predictor in a regression model to
account for that.

-Steve

P Diggle, KY Liang, S Zeger 1996. Analysis of Longitudinal Data.
Oxford Press.