st: re: converting macros into variables

From   Christopher Baum <>
Subject   st: re: converting macros into variables
Date   Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:41:16 -0500

Luhang said

The circumstance is that my statistics are based on summaries of different sub-samples and I store them in macros along the way. The final product I want is a table showing all the statistics I construct, thus I just want to convert the macros I've kept into numeric variables. I know -collapse- provides a way of going from observations to statistics, but it doesn't seem to be more efficient, or at least feels less intuitive to me, when I need to work across sub- samples. Again, thanks for all the help.

If what you want is a table containing results from a number of different estimations, use a Stata matrix to hold them. Then you need only keep track of the cells into which you would like to place results from a given subsample. This is discussed at some length in IMEUS, link below.