Re: st: a graph named "new"

From (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
Subject   Re: st: a graph named "new"
Date   Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:31:09 -0600

Eva Poen <> asks,

> This is a very minor issue, but anyway: How come I cannot name a graph "new"?
> In Stata 9.2, or an up-to-date Stata 10.1, the following produces an error:
> sysuse auto
> scatter price mpg, name(new)
> The error message is "new invalid member variable identifier" r(198).
> [...]

Kit Baum <> correctly noted that the problem stems from the fact
that "new" is a class-system reserved word.

That's true, but it's not good.  It is on our list to put graph names into
their own namespace so that names like "new" are allowed.  I won't promise
when this will be done.  It's an incredibly finicky thing to change.

-- Vince