Re: st: Average age at first occurrence analysis

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Average age at first occurrence analysis
Date   Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:34:26 -0500

Andrew,

Andrew:

I'm not familiar with the R package models, and I don't know what they do. In Stata, the Weibull model is available in -streg-. The Cox model can be considered a generalization: both are proportional hazard models; in the Weibull, there is a parametric form for the hazard function; in the Cox model there is not. As Greenland and Boshuizen show, the PH assumption is not necessary to an age-at-onset analysis. One can compute the difference between portions of any two survival curves. If the Weibull assumption does hold, then one can do it parametrically. Obviously the caveats that Wilk and Lash raise apply.

The two articles you referred to are both available online.
http://ete-online.com/content/4/1/1    Wilk and Lash
http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/26/4/867 Greenland and Boshuizen

Best,

Steve