st: Re: How does -kwallis2- compute adjusted p-values for significance?

From   System Manager <[email protected]>
From   "Tiago V. Pereira" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: How does -kwallis2- compute adjusted p-values for significance?
Date   Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:55:20 -0500 (EST)
Date   Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:52:40 -0200 (BRST)

Thank you Nick and Kit for your feedback.

Sorry about that, Nick.

If I were a native english speaker (or had a few minutes more per day) I
would certainly try to be less "diffuse and exaggerated to allow a
worthwhile detailed reply". Adjusting for these two confounders, I think
my previous message expresses the truth, and only the truth. Don´t worry,
Nick Cox´s packages are the best (clear and well documented!) we have when
working with Stata!

All the best,

Tiago

> Thank you Martin! I really do that often, more often than the necessary,
btw.

> I have already mentioned here that this unecessary task might be avoided
once each stata package points out references within the help file to
everybody rapidly to find out the answer.

> I use more than 40 Stata packages weekly, and in several instances I
have no idea about which tests are employed! Frenquently, it is easier
to compare results to known packages such as SPSS, GraphPad or even R! -
instead of opening codes and try to decipher each code.

> Again, this is one of the most important failure of Stata: there are
packages to do everthing, but few of them can be mentioned in papers.

> If you don´t know stata programming, there is no way to know which
methods are programmed in the package.

> All the best,
>
> Tiago Pereira
>

> There are several ways to get at this information, one being to -trace-
the thing and scroll up to the point where it is created afterwards.
-set tracehilite- is very helpful in this exercise...

> ******
> sysuse census, clear
> set tracehilite Adjusted
> set tr on
> kwallis2 medage, by(region)
> set tr off
> *******
>

> Next possibility: If you -log- the process, you can look at the log in a
text editor and search for "Adjusted"...

> Or you look at kwallis2.ado, for instance with NJC`s -ssc d fedit- where
you will find lines 123-124:

> *******
>  local c1=(1-$S_level/100)/(2*(`maxGrp'-1))
>  di in gr "(Adjusted p-value for significance is " %7.6f `c1' ")" _n
> *******
>

> If you want, create your own copy of kwallis2.ado and toss in a -pause-
so you can inspect the state of the world when line 123 is processed...

> HTH
> Martin

Dear Statalisters,

> Does anyone know about which method  -kwallis2-  uses to compute
adjusted p-values for significance when the Kruskal-Wallis Test is
statistically significant?