Re: st: Linear regression using Mata optimize

From (Roberto G. Gutierrez, StataCorp)
Subject   Re: st: Linear regression using Mata optimize
Date   Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:52:05 -0600

Nicola Orsini <> asks:

> My question is why I'm not getting the correct variance-covariance matrix in
> the example below (simple linear regression) when using
> optimize_result_V(S).  Any thoughts on this?

I haven't looked at the Mata code closely, but I see that Nicola is comparing
his program to -regress-.  -regress- gives OLS standard errors, which are
_not_ maximum likelihood (ML).  They are REML.  The difference is one of
dividing by n instead of (n-p), but it is enough to throw off the standard

If Nicola wants to test his optimize() code, he should try comparing with
-xtmixed, mle-, which fits ML linear regression as a degenerate case.