RE: st: RE: FWD: poisson regression on aggrgregated data

From   [Redacted]
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: FWD: poisson regression on aggrgregated data
Date   Tue, 10 Feb 2009 04:43:49 +0000

Thank you Kieran

I think The rates will be the same in below question but the incidents of course will be lower. I found the predictions for each year this time by using the whole data (strate year_since_start and year_start) and then coding them in the way that I want and fitting the poisson on the coded data. Before this I just had used the coded data(strate year_since_start_cat  year_start_cat)

Thanks again for your time and your complete respond
Shell

> [...]
>
> Will it be 0.076 person years? If not how can I have the predicted rate for ungrouped data using my poisson model.
>

> Many thanks again,
> Shell
>

>> Subject: RE: st: RE: FWD: poisson regression on aggrgregated data
>> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 06:28:51 +0900
>> From: [email protected]
>> To: [email protected]
>>
>> OK, I see.
>>
>> You have the year that treatment started: 1997,1998,1999,...,2008
>> which you have coded as:
>> year_start_cat = 1 if year_start=1997 and
>> year_start_cat = 2 if year_start=1998,1999,...,2008
>>
>> You have time since the treatment started (time_since_start):0_1, 1_2,
>> 2_3,...,Max
>> coded as:
>> time_since_start_cat = 1 if time_since start = 0_1 .
>> time_since_start_cat = 2 if time_since start = 1_2
>> time_since_start_cat = 3 if time_since start = 2_3,...,Max
>>
>> Then you modelled the incidence rates using these covariates and now you
>> want to predict the rates in each of the calendar years that treatment
>> started (1997,1998,1999,...,2008) and in each of the years since
>> treatment started (0_1, 1_2, 2_3,...,Max).
>>
>> Your model is assuming that the rate in the treatment years 1998 to 2008
>> is the same. Similarly, it is assuming that after two years of
>> follow-up have elapsed, the rate is the same; constant with time since
>> treatment started. In fact, it is assuming that this constant rate is
>> the same for all treatment years, 1998 to 2008.
>>
>> If these assumptions are correct, then you could use the model to
>> predict the rates, but you would need to provide some evidence that they
>> are correct.
>>
>> If you have sufficient data, you could use -strate- to generate the
>> rates for year_start and time_since start to see if your assumptions are
>> essentially correct.
>>
>> strate year_start time_since start
>>
>> This would give you the annual incidence rates since treatment started
>> and you could graph these for each calendar year. I did something
>> similar to this in a study of second primary melanoma rates:
>> McCaul et al. The incidence of second primary invasive melanoma in
>> Queensland, 1982-2003. Cancer Causes Control 2008; 19(5):451-8.
>>
>> Alternately, you could go back to your original data and use
>> Kaplan-Meier to generate hazard curves by calendar year of treatment.
>> These should be constant three or more years after treatment and they
>> should be similar for 1998 through to 2008.

>> Kieran McCaul MPH PhD
>> WA Centre for Health & Ageing (M573)
>> University of Western Australia
>> Level 6, Ainslie House
>> 48 Murray St
>> Perth 6000
>> Phone: (08) 9224-2140
>> Fax: (08) 9224 8009
>> email: [email protected]
>> http://myprofile.cos.com/mccaul
>> http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-8751-2008
>> The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.

>>> Martin